If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (803) 749-0178

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Fall & Scented Candles

9/1/2023 (Permalink)

Fall is right around the corner!! With what feels like the hottest summer in history almost behind us, many of us are eager to eat and drink Pumpkin Spiced everything. There’s nothing cozier than watching leaves change to vibrant colors and a fall-scented candle burning (safely) in your home! Never forget that open flames are potential fire hazards. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the careless use of candles causes nearly 10,000 residential fires each year. Here are some helpful tips you can use to avoid fires caused by candles.

  • Extinguish candles whenever you leave a room or go to sleep.
    • It’s best to avoid burning candles in bedrooms or sleeping areas. Opt for a flameless candle or diffuser instead.
  • Maintain at least 12 inches between the candle and anything flammable (decorations, curtains/fabric, paper, plants, and clothing).
  • Keep lit candles in well-ventilated areas.
  • Keep candles out of reach of pets and children.
  • If using a candle holder, ensure it’s sturdy and cannot be knocked over. Always place them on heat-resistant surfaces.
  • Trim wicks within ¼ inch of the wax to prevent sparks from popping while burning.
  • Avoid burning candles to the bottom of the jar. Extinguish a candle when there are at least two inches of wax left or ½ in if they’re in a container.

If you experience fire or smoke damage from a candle and are unsure of your next steps, call SERVPRO of The Dutch Fork (803) 749-0178. Our team has the equipment and training to quickly respond to any fire emergency in the Chapin Community and surrounding areas.

Other News

View Recent Posts